REMINDER: CALL FOR MEMBERS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR VP POSTS IN DC WHARTON CLUB
All current Wharton Club members welcome to be considered
for our leadership team to maintain the vitality of our Club, one of the
largest, most active, and most vibrant in the Wharton Alumni Network
To maintain the strength of our Club, the newly elected Board of Directors of the Washington Club of DC is continuing to move the Club forward. We have just announced, pursuant to our revised by-laws, our appointment of several officers and our Board Chair.
You can see the entire current list of Directors, Officers and Special Interest Group (SIG) Chairs (Council, Forums, Roundtables) by clicking here to go to the relevant page on our website.
A key focus now, under the updated Club By-Laws, is the President's appointment of officers.
Several emails from the School and from the Club in recent month have sought applications from Club members who wished to be considered as officers. This is a reminder of that we are seeking members who are willing and able to fill these positions. The Board will vote on the candidates and make the final selections based on who we believe is the best match with our needs, hopefully from a diverse pool of qualified applicants.
All candidates for officers’ positions should be ready to serve for a minimum of anywhere from two to 10 hours per month to serve the Club and its members, with exceptions as noted. Each officer should also commit to being accessible by phone and email so that the Club may continue to flourish and maintain its robust programming and service to members.
While serving the Club, you can benefit by increasing your exposure and professional contacts. You will also be expanding your skill set, often in ways that help your career and sense of personal fulfillment.
Each candidate should include a short resume, contact information (telephone and email), and the following for each position for which he or she would like to be considered:
- An explanation of your goals and vision for that position and your availability
- A brief statement of why you believe you would do well in each position being sought
- History as a member of the Wharton Club of DC and other Wharton Clubs, including participation and leadership; please include a brief statement of when you initially became a member and how long you have continuously belonged, as well as how many programs you attend in a typical year
- Past for-profit, nonprofit, and other experience that may be relevant to the Board’s decision
- Any awards you have won for your for-profit, nonprofit or other career experience
- Other information you believe the Board should take into account in making its decision.
Please send us your submission(s) no later than 2 p.m. on May 9, 2013 to email@example.com.
These are the general requirements for each position; changes occur depending on the needs of the Club and its members:
These are additional posts that the Club has had in the past and that the Board is considering, plus others that may be added, depending on the Club’s needs and the experience and time of members available to serve:
- Alumni Club Liaison: Initiates and maintains egular contact with other Wharton Clubs, as well as the School, other B-School groups, and other alumni clubs, to benefit the Club and its members.
- Career Opportunities: Post and solicit, through Club’s website, emails or otherwise as reasonably needed, potential job listings for Club members, and updating general career opportunities information on Club website. Post openings on Club website, and archive or delete positions that are filled.
- International Affairs: Initiate and follow up on contact with embassies that are good prospects for hosting receptions and briefings of interest to Club members and other attendees.
- Marketing: Conduct surveys and other research to determine member and attendee interests. Develop and implement a marketing plan for the Club, to build attendance at events and improve membership.
- Wharton Award Dinner: Assist the President, Board and other officers in continuing the success of this “signature” Club event. Seeks potential candidates who have achieved significant career success, while also attaining significant degree of community or public service, and have been active in Wharton or Penn alumni network or our Club.
In addition, this is a call for those who have subject matter expertise in a field of interest to other members. We already have many SIGs, such as our Forums (Investment, Entrepreneurship, Healthcare-Biotech, Tech, Nonprofit, Women's Leadership) and Roundtables (Green Business, Business of Government, Homeland Security-Defense). We would welcome your suggestion of a new SIG that you might lead, or your offer to help an existing one.
We look forward to hearing from you if you are interested in becoming part of our team. We always have room for members who want to help our Club grow stronger and are willing to contribute in positive ways.
Whether or not you wish to be considered now, we appreciate your support for our Club and hope to see you at future Wharton Club of DC events.
Your Wharton Club of DC Board of Directors
Ramesh K. Gupta, WG’89, and Secretary & Vice President, Operations
Kathy Koo, C’73, WG’76
Jean-Francois Orsini, WG’72, WPhD'84, and Chairman
Alan N. Schlaifer, W’65, and President
John Steigerwald, WG’95, and Treasurer & Vice President, Finance