Headliners Luncheon: Miss America Chair Gretchen Carlson & CEO Regina Hopper
Wharton Club members & their guests are invited to this Headliners Luncheon at National Press Club
- The 2019 Miss America pageant is getting a much-needed make-over to more accurately reflect today’s modern American women. This, according to Gretchen Carlson, chairwoman of the Miss America board of directors, who announced this morning on “Good Morning America” that the event will be considered a competition from this point forward, not a pageant, and will no longer feature a swimsuit portion. Contestants will “no longer [be judged] on their outward physical appearance,” said Carlson, and the competition will be more welcoming and inclusive of “all shapes and sizes.”
- On Tuesday, July 24, Carlson and the CEO of the Miss America Organization Regina Hopper will appear at a National Press Club Headliners Luncheon to discuss these and other changes to the Miss America competition and what the future will hold for the 98-year-old organization.
- Carlson, who was crowned Miss America herself back in 1989, is best known today as a journalist, author, and advocate whose sexual harassment lawsuit against then Fox News Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes helped to open the #MeToo floodgates. By going public with her allegations, Carlson inspired dozens of other women within the organization to step forward, and ultimately led to Ailes’s resignation.
- VIP Reception 12:00-12:30 p.m (you will be informed if your request is granted. PREFERENCE to President's Club & Lifetime Members)
- Lunch from 12:30-1:00 p.m.
- 1:00-2:00 p.m.: The speaker's remarks and Q&A from the audience.
Please call Alan Schlaifer at 301-365-8999 if you'd to be considered to attend the reception (if there is one) from 12:30-1:00 pm with the speaker. (He may only bring a few guests, so early sign up helps; preference for President's Club and Lifetime Members).
Where: National Press Club, Ballroom, 13th Floor, 14th & F Streets, N.W., just two blocks from Metro Center
Metro, Parking: Metro Center; several private garages within a few blocks.
Reservations: $39/person for current Wharton Club members and their guests only. You must reserve in advance on our site. We have only a limited number of seats, so Members may purchase seats only for themselves and up to three guests, if desired. (Photo: on the Natl Press Club website, press.org)
Tuesday, 07/24/18 at 12:30pm - 2:00pm | iCal
The National Press Club, Ballroom
529 - 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20045 USA
[ Get Directions ]
Look Who's Coming:
Marquee Brand Builders
Wharton Club of DC
Meta Point Advisors