Headliners - RFK: His Words for Our Times with Kathleen KennedyTownsend
Wharton Club Members invited to attend this event. Comp for President's Club & Lifetime Members
April 10, 2019 6:30 PM
Location: Press Club Conference Rooms
- RFK: His Words for Our Times with Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Robert and Ethel Kennedy’s eldest child and public servant and Rick Allen, co-author and editor.
- With the advent of a new Congress and the approaching Muller Report, political polarization continues. Robert F. Kennedy continues to inspire with a message that reached across similar gulfs during his life – and provides a prism to make sense of America’s present challenges and future prospects. Fifty years after his “last campaign” there is renewed interest in Kennedy’s vision for America and the words that proved prescient and timeless. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend and Rick Allen share the Senator’s ideas and words and apply them to 2019 and beyond.
- This event will take place from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and will feature a discussion with the Allen and Townsend, an audience question-and-answer session, and a book signing. Tickets are $5 for National Press Club members and $10 for the general public. Students with university identification are welcomed to attend without charge and must register. Exact room location will be announced. Buyers will have the option of purchasing copies of the book at check-out. Books will also be available for purchase at the event. A small percentage of book sale proceeds benefit the National Press Club Journalism Institute, so we request that you leave all outside books and memorabilia at home.
- Twenty-five years after Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, RFK: His Words for Our Times, a celebration of Kennedy’s life and legacy, was published to enormous acclaim. Now, a quarter century later, this classic volume has been thoroughly edited and updated. Through his own words we get a direct and intimate perspective on Kennedy’s views on civil rights, social justice, the war in Vietnam, foreign policy, the desirability of peace, the need to eliminate poverty, and the role of hope in American politics.
- Here, too, is evidence of the impact of those he knew and worked with, including his brother John F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Cesar Chavez, among others. The tightly curated collection also includes commentary about RFK’s legacy from major historians and public figures, among them Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Eric Garcetti, William Manchester, Elie Wiesel, and Desmond Tutu. Assembled with the full cooperation of the Kennedy family, RFK: His Words for Our Times is a potent reminder of Robert Kennedy’s ability to imagine a greater America—a faith and vision we could use today.
- RICK ALLEN is a media and technology executive and has been a speechwriter, fundraiser, and state campaign manager for several presidential and Senate candidates. He also served as Deputy Assistant to President Clinton, helping to create AmeriCorps. He is the co-author and co-editor of RFK: His Words for Our Times.
- KATHLEEN KENNEDY TOWNSEND has a distinguished history of accomplishment in the public arena and, for the last decade, in the private sector. As the State of Maryland’s first woman Lieutenant Governor, Ms. Townsend was in charge of a multimillion-dollar budget and had oversight of major cabinet departments. She is on numerous boards, including those of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, the Points of Light Foundation, and the Center for American Progress. She is the eldest child of Robert and Ethel Kennedy.
- Tickets are $10 for regular Wharton Club members and guests.
- They are COMPLIMENTARY for President's Club and Lifetime Members and one guest each.
- There will be a cash bar.
- Click here to reserve your place(s)!!!
WHERE: National Press Club
529 14th Street NW
13th Floor - Conference Rooms
Washington, DC 20045
WHEN: Wednesday, February 27, 2019