News About Recent Wharton Club of DC Events
Members & Guests Enjoyed Stimulating, Educational Programs
on Varied Topics
Recent event highlights:
- Green Business Roundtable 6/22: scintillating discussion and fascinating film about greening efforts by major organization. Kathleen Matthews, Marriott EVP and their "Queen of Green" and two other panelists responded well to varied questions from the capacity audience. Thanks to Dave Driscoll and Steve Offutt for organizing, and the Leo Daly architectural firm for hosting. (Pix are viewable - and can be ordered - at http://whartondc.shutterfly.com (Password wcdc2010).
- After the Meltdown 6/29: fascinating comments by the speakers on challenging economic and financial issues facing many nations and the global economy.
- Ike Leggett, Mont. Cty Exec 6/29: Articulate and responsive discussion by the county leader as he readies himself for his re-election effort. Examples of topics he covered at the reception and briefing that featured Peruvian hors d'oeuvres and Pisco Sours enjoyed by Wharton Club members and others who attended:
- Budget progress in his administration. In 3 yrs before he began, budget had risen 40%. In the last 4 yrs, it has declined 2%, while maintaining services.
- Economic and employment growth and initiatives, including new focal areas
- Transportation needs to serve the nearly 1 million county residents, to increase public transit and spread out employment centers to try to reduce congestion
- Economic development with overseas offices
- Support for Israel in recent speech in DC
- Maintaining the public education system in the county, by some measures the best in the U.S.