43RD ANNUAL WHARTON AWARD DINNER HONORS OUTSTANDING ALUMS
Honorees: Suzanne J. Peck. WG'66, Sherman Ragland, II, WG'86,
Mark D. Ein, W'86, Heinan Landa, W'91
Back again at Park Hyatt Washington, by popular demand
Sponsor Seats Get You Invitation to Private Reception
Day & Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Place: Park Hyatt Hotel, 24th & M Sts., NW (see map below)
Parking, Metro: Valet parking (additional); limited on-street after 6:30 pm. Metro: Foggy Bottom
Attire: Business Attire
BONUS: If you sign up for the higher price tickets (250/person and above) online, you can attend the Private Reception (and be listed in the program, if you'd like), in recognition of your added support, which is greatly appreciated.
• 6:00-6:30 pm: Private Reception for Honorees with Lifetime & President's Club Members, Table Purchasers, and Everyone in Sustainer, Benefactor, Supporter & Friend Categories
• 6:30-7:30 pm: Reception for All Attendees
• 7:30-8:30 pm: Welcome, followed by dinner with the outstanding cuisine of the popular Blue Duck Tavern, one of Washington's premiere fine dining landmarks, featuring the award-winning high Zagat-rated culinary creations of Executive Chef Sebastien Archambault and his outstanding team. Members of this great team have continued their award-winning ways, and we are the fortunate beneficiaries.
• 8:30-9:30 pm: Program:
• Brief Reports: State of the Club and the School
• Presentation of Joseph Wharton Awards to Honorees (Click here to learn more about our outstanding Honorees):
- Suzanne J. Peck, WG'66, Information Technology Consultant, Washington, DC
- Sherman Ragland, II, WG'86, Dean, Realinvestors® Academy; Chairman, Tradewinds International Holdings, Ltd.
- Mark D. Ein, W’86, Founder & CEO, Venturehouse Group: Owner, Washington Kastles; Chairman & Majority Owner, Kastle Systems,
- Heinan Landa, WG'91, Founder & CEO, Optimal Networks
• Concluding Remarks
Register now for what is usually the most popular event in the Club's calendar each year. This year, the 43rd Annual Dinner, promises to be no exception now that we have our exceptional "Final Four." Anywhere from 125 to 200 or more Club members and guests, including prominent Washingtonians and diplomats typically attend for the reception and dinner. With this year's honorees, we hope that this year could be at the upper end of that range.
Click here to reserve your place(s) (or make your donations)!!! (Thank you!)
If you have any questions not answered on this webpage or have any trouble registering online, please call our Club at 301-365-8999. Vegetarian, Kosher and Non-Gluten dinner options can be noted in your online registration.
We are again at our favorite venue for this gala event, the Park Hyatt Washington. Besides honoring four outstanding alumni and giving members an opportunity to get together, the dinner generates funds for scholarships for talented Wharton students from the D.C. area.
Special guests: We are expecting as honored guests some of the Ambassadors and other diplomats who have hosted our Club in recent years joining us at our reception and dinner.
Tables: Rounds of 10.
Please call us directly if your company would like to consider becoming a sponsor with one or more tables. You will have a listing in the program and many other potential benefits, depending on the category you choose. Just call Alan Schlaifer, our Club's President, at 301-365-8999, to discuss the benefits and options.
Renowned Executive Chef Sébastien Archimbault (above left; worked at several Michelin-starred restaurants (including 3*** Alain Ducasse in Paris) of the Popular AAA 4-Diamond Blue Duck Tavern at
the 4-Diamond Park Hyatt Washington, DC (acclaimed pastry chef Peter Brett is pictured at right)
The Blue Duck Tavern has received rave reviews and ratings, and underlining its theme: Simple Elegance. Modern American Style: Celebrating the Region's Best Purveyors.. These are a few "tastes" of what awaits you - just a sample of many positive reviews since the restaurant opened, and more recent ones have simply confirmed the earlier praise:
- Every “outstandingly original” dish is “a winner” declare early fans of this “wonderful addition” set in the Park Hyatt hotel that showcases regional New American cuisine crafted by chef Brian McBride (ex Melrose[, the hotel's prior restaurant in the same space]); the “chic” Tony Chi-designed space boasts a “stunning” open kitchen with a cobalt-blue, state-of-the-art, wood-burning Molteni range....”
- Zagat Survey's America's Top Restaurants 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- 100 Very Best Restaurants by Washingtonian Magazine 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
- Named one of ten "Great Hotel Restaurants" in the world by Hotels Magazine, 2009
- H&D Design 100 for Top Designs of the Decade by Home & Design Magazine, 2009
- Voted Top Ten Best New Restaurant in United States by Gayot.com 100 Very Best Restaurants by Washingtonian Magazine - 2009
- "The city always has had a few great restaurants...More important, the dining scene has acquired depth...with the arrival of Blue Duck Tavern... explore the "back to our rustic roots" concept to its fullest...a nifty feat given that their workspace is tucked inside a sleek, modern urban hotel...there's nothing kitschy or precious here. The flavors of the simply prepared dishes are pure, the roasted squash was simply perfect, and they create a timeless sensation...In an ideal dining world, every neighborhood would have a modest gem like this on the corner." - USA Today, December 14, 2006
- "On the surface, the Blue Duck Tavern is an oasis of up-to-the-moment sophistication...at heart though, the newcomer is a tribute to local farmers and growers...the food is at once straightforward and elegant...the Blue Duck gives fresh meaning to the word tavern." - Tom Sietsema, The Washington Post, August 20, 2006
Born in Texas, he returned with his French parents to their home in Le Bugue in southwest France. After work in his family’s restaurant, he went to culinary school before working in Paris at award-winning Restaurant Les Bouquinistes, under the direction of Guy Savoy (whose namesake restaurant has 3 Michelin stars), and at Restaurant Alain Ducasse (also *** Michelin).
He then moved up at positions in a highly rated restaurants in diverse locations. These included:
- Park Hyatt Paris-Vendome, at Restaurant la Cantine des Gourmets
- Executive chef at Restaurant Champs-Elysees in Mexico,
- Restaurant Le Pirate, Corsica (starred by Michelin while he was there), and
- In California at the Andaz West Hollywood’s RH Restaurant & L’Epicerie Market.
- His focus in the last two locations was to work closely with local farmers and purveyors to create simple, expertly prepared seasonal "market to table" cuisine, fully in line with the mission of the Park Hyatt and its renowned Blue Duck Tavern, which adopted that focus under 25-year highly regarded former Executive Chef Brian McBride.
MENU Vegetarian option listed below and Kosher and Non-Gluten meals also available.
Please note any non-standard preference on your online registration or email Alan Schlaifer (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Andrea Essex (email@example.com).
Blackened Crusted Sea Bass with Green Vegetables Risotto, Peas, Fava Beans, Zucchini and Parmesan Cheese
• Vegetarian Entrée
Green Vegetables Risotto, Peas, Fava Beans, Zucchini and Parmesan Cheese
Chocolate Quartet: Mousse, Tart, Ice Cream, and Flourless Fondant
Selection of MITEA Rare Teas
Directions: see the map below
If you have any questions, please call the Park Hyatt at 202-789-1234. Parking & Metro: See above
Questions: Please call us at 301-365-8999. The best way to reserve is online by clicking below through our secure website; you may then print out your receipt. You may also fax your reservation to the Club at 301-365-0486.
Tax deductibility: To the extent permitted by law (please check with your tax advisor):
--Business: Full amount may be deductible as a business expense; consult your tax advisor
--Individual: Full amount of Scholarship Fund contributions plus the amount in excess of $135 per person for the dinner as a charitable contribution (as the Club is a Section 501(c)(3) organization).
Click here to reserve your place(s) (or make your donations)!!!
For best seating, reserve early, whichever method you choose for reservations - online, mail, fax, or phone.