Wharton Aerospace Conference 2007: 2/22-23
You Are Invited to Program Featuring Goodrich CEO Marshall Larson &
EDO CEO James Smith, Plus Panels on Voice of the Warfighter,"
'Trends in Commercial Aerospace' & 'Entrepreneurship in Aerospace &
Registration is now open for Wharton Aerospace 2007.
This annual event will take place on Friday 23 February 2007 with
an evening reception on Thursday 22 February 2007.
The registration URL is:
For 2007, keynote speakers are:
- Goodrich CEO Marshall Larson: Marshall O Larsen has been CEO of Goodrich (GR) for 2 years. Mr. Larsen has been with the company for 28 years. The 56 year old executive ranks # 6 within Forbes' ratings on Aerospace & Defense.
College: US Military Academy BS'70
Graduate School: Purdue University MS'77
- EDO CEO James Smith - Mr. Smith is Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of EDO Corporation (NYSE:EDO), headquartered in New York City. EDO provides military products and professional services to the United States and allied governments, and their prime defense contractors. The company has annual revenues of more than $700 million and employs 4,200 people.
In 1967, Mr. Smith joined AIL Technologies, Inc. After holding increasingly responsible positions, he was named President of AIL in July 1991 and on January 1, 1992 became its Chief Executive Officer. On April 28, 2000, AIL merged with EDO Corporation and Mr. Smith was appointed President and CEO. He was elected Chairman of the Board on May 7, 2002.
Mr. Smith currently serves on the Board of Governors of the Aerospace Industries Association, the Board of Trustees of the Polytechnic Institute of New York, and on the Board of Trustees of the Naval War College Foundation. He has served as Chairman of the American Electronics Association (New York Council), as Chairman of the Long Island Association, and as Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the public broadcasting television station, WLIW (Channel 21). He has also served on the Board of the National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA).
Panel subjects are:
- "Acquisition Reform", with participants from the Department of Defense and relevant organizations, including DoD Director of Defense Procurement & Acquisition Policy Shay Assad, members of the highly publicized recent Defense Acquisition Performance Assessment (DAPA) Project Gerald W. Abbott (Industrial College of the Armed Forces) and Pierre Chao (Center for Strategic & International Studies), as well as Edgar Bates of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations. (all recently confirmed)
- 'Trends in Commercial Aerospace': with a mix of senior executives participants from government, the OEMs, air transport/airlines and business & regional jets, moderated by top-ranked Wall St. analyst and Prudential Equity SVP Byron Callan. Panelists include FAA SVP Gene Juba, Bombardier Marketing VP Trung Ngo, United Airlines MD of International Planning Greg Kaldahl, and airline banking boutique Seabury Group CEO John Luth (all recently confirmed), and a TBD VP from VLJ manufacturer Eclipse Aviation.
- 'Entrepreneurship in Aerospace & Defense', panel with CEOs/owners of successful entrepreneurial A&D ventures discussing the full lifecycle of their companies (Bill Craven/Overwatch, Doug Hegebarth/ex-Anzus, Jay Jesse/ISS, Ron Ordway/VDC - all recently confirmed) and have also extended a well-received special invitation to founders and CEOs of other entrepreneurial aerospace firms to attend our event.
Wharton Aerospace is a group of top-tier B-school alumni and select invited guests with shared ties and commitments to the aerospace & defense industries. We conduct annual get-togethers on Wharton campus in Philadelphia to foster professional and social connections among our participants.
Our 2006 event was attended by 175 participants, speakers & panelists from 90 aerospace companies. ~50% of participants were corporate VPs and above; ~10% were CEO/COO/CFOs. We expect a similar profile in 2007.
Please contact Michael or Ellen should you have any questions.
Michael Langman (Rockwell Collins)
Wharton Class of 1998
Ellen Chang (Northrop Grumman)
Wharton Class of 1998
Pre-event Reception: Thursday February 22nd, 2006; 7:00pm - midnight; The Library, Hilton Inn @ Penn, 3600 Sansom St.
3730 Walnut Street (Huntsman Hall, 8th floor)
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Conference Cost: $99/person
Suggested Accommodations and E-Booking: http://www.onebigcampus.com/hotels_all.htm
Dress: business casual (please, no suits or ties!)