45TH ANNUAL WHARTON AWARD DINNER HONORS LEADING WHARTON & PENN ALUMS
Amanda E Eversole, WG13, SVP., US Chamber of Comm.
Devin Schain, C88, Founder, CEO, CampusDirect
Dan Tangherlini, WG01, COO, Artemis Real Est.
Alfred C Liggins, III, WG95, CEO, Radio One & TVOne
Sign up now!
Day & Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Place: Park Hyatt Hotel, 24th & M Sts., NW (see map below)
Parking, Metro: Valet parking (additional); limited on-street after 6:30 pm. Metro: Foggy Bottom
Attire: Business Attire
BONUS: If you sign up for the higher price tickets (250/person and above) online, you can attend the Private Reception (and be listed in the program, if you'd like), in recognition of your added support, which is greatly appreciated.
• 5:45-6:30 pm: VIP Reception for Honorees with past Award Recipients, Lifetime Members, Table Purchasers, and Everyone in Sustainer, Benefactor, Supporter & Friend Categories
• 6:30-7:30 pm: Reception for All Attendees
• 7:30-8:30 pm: Welcome, followed by dinner with the outstanding cuisine of the popular Blue Duck Tavern, one of Washington's premiere fine dining landmarks, featuring the award-winning high Zagat-rated culinary creations of Executive Chef Ryan LaRoche and his outstanding team. Members of this great team have continued their award-winning ways and we are the fortunate beneficiaries.
• 8:30-9:15 pm: Program:
• Brief Reports: State of the Club and the School
- Presentation of Steven C. Oser Wharton Club of DC Service Award
- Presentation of Benjamin Franklin Award for Musical Diplomacy
• Presentation of Joseph Wharton Awards to Honorees (Click here to learn more about our outstanding Honorees):
- Amanda Engstrom Eversole, WG'13, President, Center for Advanced Technology & Innovation (CATI) and Senior Vice President, U.S. Chamber Center for Capital Markets Competitiveness (CCMC)
- To be introduced by Thomas J. Donohue, President and CEO, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Alfred C. Liggins, III, WG'95, CEO & President of Radio One, Inc., CEO; Chairman & CEO, TV One, LLC
- Devin Schain, C'88, Founder & CEO, Campus Direct; Founder, National Education Week; Co-Founder, ShalomLearning; Co-Founder, Access Health Group
- Dan Tangherlini, WG01, Chief Operating Officer, Artemis Real Estate Partners. Previously: Administrator, General Services Admin (GSA); Chief Financial Officer (CFO), U.S. Treasury Dept.; Deputy Mayor & Administrator, District of Columbia.
Register now for what is usually the most popular event in the Club's calendar each year. This year, the 45th Annual Dinner, promises to be no exception once we have our exceptional "Final Four." Anywhere from 150 to 250 or more Club members and guests, including prominent Washingtonians and diplomats typically attend for the reception and dinner. With this year's honorees, we expect that this year will be at the upper end of that range, and maybe even higher, as we expect tickets to sell quickly..
Click here to reserve your place(s) (or make your donations)!!! (Earlier signups get better seating) (Thank you!)
If you have any questions not answered on this webpage or have any trouble registering online, please call our Club at 301-365-8999. Vegetarian, Kosher and Non-Gluten dinner options can be noted in your online registration.
We are again at our favorite venue for this gala event, the Park Hyatt Washington. Besides honoring four outstanding alumni and giving members an opportunity to get together, the dinner generates funds for scholarships for talented Wharton students from the D.C. area.
Special guests: We are expecting as honored guests some of the Ambassadors and other diplomats who have hosted our Club in recent years joining us at our reception and dinner.
Tables: Rounds of 10.
Please call us directly if your company would like to consider becoming a sponsor with one or more tables. You will have a listing in the program and many other potential benefits, depending on the category you choose. Just call Alan Schlaifer, our Club's President, at 301-365-8999, to discuss the benefits and options.
Led by renowned Chef de Cuisine Brad Deboy
The Blue Duck Tavern has received rave reviews and ratings, and underlining its theme: Simple Elegance. Modern American Style: Celebrating the Region's Best Purveyors.. These are a few of many "tastes" of what awaits you - just a sample of many positive reviews and awards - how apt for an award gala - since the restaurant opened, and more recent ones have simply confirmed the earlier praise:
- Every “outstandingly original” dish is “a winner” declare early fans of this “wonderful addition” set in the Park Hyatt hotel that showcases regional New American cuisine; the “chic” Tony Chi-designed space boasts a “stunning” open kitchen with a cobalt-blue, state-of-the-art, wood-burning Molteni range....”
- “101 Best Hotel Restaurants Around the World” by The Daily Meal 2014
- "100 Very Best Restaurants" by Washingtonian Magazine 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
- “Notable Hotel Restaurant” in the “Outstanding Hotel Restaurant, greater than 100 rooms” category by Saveur 2014, 2013
- “Restaurant Service Program of the Year” by Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington 2014
- “50 Hottest Restaurants” by DC Modern Luxury 2014, 2010, 2009
- “The 38 Essential Washington Restaurants” by Eater DC 2014, 2013
- "On the surface, the Blue Duck Tavern is an oasis of up-to-the-moment sophistication...at heart though, the newcomer is a tribute to local farmers and growers...the food is at once straightforward and elegant...the Blue Duck gives fresh meaning to the word tavern." - Tom Sietsema, The Washington Post,
MENU Vegetarian, Vegan, Kosher and Non-Gluten meals also available.
Please note any non-standard preference on your online registration or email Alan Schlaifer (email@example.com).
Here is this year's menu:
• First CourseSoup: Pumpkin Soup, Candied Pumpkin Seeds, Pomegranate, Brioche Croutons
• Entrée:Rosemary Crusted Chicken, Mushroom Vol au Vent, Asparagus, Natural Jus
• Vegetarian EntréeMushroom Ravioli with Sauteed Mushrooms, Mushroom Cream, Arugula,
Shaved Parmesan• Dessert:Mandarin Lime Meringue Tart, Earl Grey Cream, Blueberry Compote
• Beverages:La Colombe Regular and Decaffeinated Coffee,
• Wines with Dinner:
Bottega Vinaia Pinot Grigio, Trentino, Italy
Mastermind, Shiraz, Australia
Directions: see the map below
If you have any questions, please call the Park Hyatt at 202-789-1234. Parking & Metro: See above
Questions: Please call us at 301-365-8999. The best way to reserve is online by clicking below through our secure website; you may then print out your receipt. You may also fax your reservation to the Club at 301-365-0486.
Tax deductibility: To the extent permitted by law (please check with your tax advisor):
--Business: Full amount may be deductible as a business expense; consult your tax advisor
--Individual: Full amount of Scholarship Fund contributions plus the amount in excess of $135 per person for the dinner as a charitable contribution (as the Club is a Section 501(c)(3) organization).
For best seating, reserve early, whichever method you choose for reservations - online, mail, fax, or phone.