David Trone, WG'85, Co-Founder & Owner, Total Wine & More, to Keynote at 4th Annual Wharton DC Innovation Summit
In the past two decades plus, David Trone has played a key role in building his business to a fast-growing category leader that had $2.5 Billion in sales last year. Join us at the Summit to learn how he has used innovation, entrepreneurship and more to succeed in an increasingly challenging business & legal environment.
- David Trone has been involved in the beer retail business since 1984 and the wine and spirits business since 1991. David oversees Marketing, Purchasing, e-Commerce, Government and Community Affairs, Finance and IT. He and Robert have traveled the world, working with producers to bring Total Wine & More the best selection at the lowest prices.
- David’s many community and philanthropic affiliations include Serving on the Wharton Graduate Executive Board, the Wharton Retail Advisory Board, the Wharton Entrepreneurial Advisory Board, Furman University Board of Trustees, The Bullis School Board of Trustees, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Board of Trustees, American University Board of Trustees and the ACLU Private Sector & Educational Advisory Board on Reintegration.
- David graduated magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa with a B.S. from Furman University in 1977, and received an M.B.A. from Wharton in 1985. He lives with his wife, June, and has four grown children. The oldest, Michelle, earned an M.B.A. from Wharton in 2016.
From the TotalWine.com website:
Total Wine & More is America‘s Wine Superstore® — the country‘s largest independent retailer of fine wine. We started in 1991 when brothers David and Robert Trone opened a small store in Delaware. Today,e operate 153 superstores across 20 states and continue to grow.
- We’re passionate about wine, and know many of our customers feel the same way. So we are committed to offering the nation’s best wine selection, with an emphasis on fine wines. Our typical store carries more than 8,000 different wines from every wine-producing region in the world, including more than 2,000 wines not available in any other store. The typical Total Wine & More also carries more than 2,500 beers, from America‘s most popular brands to hard-to-find microbrews and imports, and more than 3,000 different spirits in every style and price range.
- We’re also committed to having the lowest prices on wine, spirits and beer every day. Our tremendous buying power and special relationships with producers, importers and wholesalers bring us considerable savings, which we pass on to our customers.
- It’s our Team Members who make the Total Wine & More shopping experience so special.
- But it’s our Team Members who make the Total Wine & More shopping experience so special. Total Wine & More employs more than 4,000 dedicated men and women, including 600 wine service team members and 50 of our most knowledgeable wine experts, the Total Wine Professionals. All of our wine team members participate in extensive training programs, weekly team wine tastings and monthly wine-producer seminars. Many travel to winemaking regions to meet our producers and learn about their wines firsthand.
- The goal is to ensure each customer has an exceptional wine-buying experience. Do you need an expert recommendation for a wine? Or do you know what you want, and just need directions to the right aisle? Whether you are new to the world of wine or a great wine enthusiast, we want all our customers to be confident and comfortable exploring our stores and selecting the wines they prefer. That’s the Total Wine Experience.