Headliners Luncheon with Craig Newmark, founder of craigslist
Wharton Club members & their guests are invited to this Headliners Luncheon at National Press Club
- On Monday, September 24, Craig Newmark, founder of craigslist and Craig Newmark Philanthropies, will appear at a National Press Club Headliners Luncheon to discuss his philanthropic efforts to strengthen trust in news.
- Newmark has poured money into journalism research, training, and direct support of news gathering since the 2016 elections, including a $20 million donation in June to the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York, the only public graduate journalism school in the northeast.
More about Craiglist, from Wikipedia (these statements have not been verified; the company is privately owned):
- Craigslist (stylized as craigslist) is an American classified advertisements website with sections devoted to jobs, housing, for sale, items wanted, services, community, gigs, résumés, and discussion forums.
- Craig Newmark began the service in 1995 as an email distribution list to friends, featuring local events in the San Francisco Bay Area. It became a web-based service in 1996 and expanded into other classified categories. It started expanding to other U.S. cities in 2000, and now covers 70 countries.
- The site serves more than 20 billion page views per month, putting it in 72nd place overall among websites worldwide and 11th place overall among websites in the United States (per Alexa.com on June 28, 2016), with more than 49.4 million unique monthly visitors in the United States alone (per Compete.com on January 8, 2010). With more than 80 million new classified advertisements each month, Craigslist is the leading classifieds service in any medium. The site receives more than 2 million new job listings each month, making it one of the top job boards in the world.
- VIP Reception 12:00-12:30 p.m (you will be informed if your request is granted. PREFERENCE to President's Club & Lifetime Members)
- Lunch from 12:30-1:00 p.m.
- 1:00-2:00 p.m.: The speaker's remarks and Q&A from the audience.
Please call Alan Schlaifer at 301-365-8999 if you'd to be considered to attend the reception (if there is one) from 12:30-1:00 pm with the speaker. (He may only bring a few guests, preference for President's Club and Lifetime Members).
Where: National Press Club, Ballroom, 13th Floor, 14th & F Streets, N.W., just two blocks from Metro Center
Metro, Parking: Metro Center; several private garages within a few blocks.
Reservations: $39/person for current Wharton Club members and their guests only. You must reserve in advance on our site. We have only a limited number of seats, so Members may purchase seats only for themselves and up to three guests, if desired. (Photo: on the Natl Press Club website, press.org)
12:30PM - 2:00PM Mon 24 Sep 2018 ( Timezone: Eastern )
The National Press Club, Ballroom
529 - 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20045 USA
[ Get Directions ]
Look Who's Coming:
Wharton Club of DC
GLBL Integration, Inc.