Headliners Luncheon with CVS Health CEO & President Larry Merlo
Wharton Club members & their guests are invited to this Headliners Luncheon at National Press Club
National Press Club Headliners Luncheon, Monday, January 14, 2019
- Following CVS Health’s $69 billion acquisition of Aetna, one of the largest health care combinations in U.S. history, CVS Health President and CEO Larry Merlo will discuss how his company plans to address the current challenges in today’s health care system at a National Press Club Headliners Luncheon on Monday, January 14, 2019.
- Overcoming these challenges, Merlo argues, requires transforming the system from within—centering it on the needs of individuals to help them achieve their best health at a lower cost. Merlo will lay out how CVS Health plans to play a significant role in this transformation by rolling out new health care models in communities across the country with pharmacy, health, and consultation services to make care more local, affordable, and easier to use.
- Lunch will be served in the Club’s Holeman Lounge at 12:30 p.m., with remarks beginning at 1:00 p.m., followed by a question-and-answer session ending at 2:00 p.m.
About the Speaker:
- Larry Merlo is President and Chief Executive Officer of CVS Health, a pharmacy innovation company that is at the forefront of a changing health care environment. The company, with $184.8 billion in net revenues for 2017, touches more than 100 million people each year through its unique combination of assets, including more than 9,800 retail pharmacies, over 1,100 walk-in medical clinics, a leading pharmacy benefits manager with more than 94 million plan members, a comprehensive provider of pharmacy services to long-term care facilities, and expanding specialty pharmacy services.
- Under Merlo’s leadership, the company is transforming health care by delivering breakthrough products and services that enable people, businesses and communities to manage health in more affordable, effective ways. As part of this deep commitment to public health, in 2014 the company announced the landmark decision to be the first major retail pharmacy to eliminate tobacco sales in all of its stores. To reflect this broader health care commitment, the company subsequently changed its corporate name to CVS Health.
- Merlo, a pharmacist by education, joined CVS Pharmacy in 1990 through the company’s acquisition of Peoples Drug. Prior to assuming the role of President and CEO in 2011, Merlo held positions of increasing responsibility, most recently President of CVS Pharmacy. Under his leadership, the company completed some of the most successful acquisitions in the history of retail pharmacy and delivered significant organic growth in major markets across the country.
- Merlo currently serves on the Board of the National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS) and the University of Pittsburgh's Board of Trustees. He is also a member of the Consumer Goods Forum Board and serves on the Business Roundtable Executive Committee.
- He is a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy.
- VIP Reception 12:00-12:30 p.m (you will be informed if your request is granted. PREFERENCE to President's Club & Lifetime Members)
- Lunch from 12:30-1:00 p.m.
- 1:00-2:00 p.m.: The speaker's remarks and Q&A from the audience.
Please call Alan Schlaifer at 301-365-8999 if you'd to be considered to attend the reception (if there is one) from 12:30-1:00 pm with the speaker. (He may only bring a few guests, preference for President's Club and Lifetime Members).
Where: National Press Club, Ballroom, 13th Floor, 14th & F Streets, N.W., just two blocks from Metro Center
Metro, Parking: Metro Center; several private garages within a few blocks.
Reservations: $39/person for current Wharton Club members and their guests only. You must reserve in advance on our site. We have only a limited number of seats, so Members may purchase seats only for themselves and up to three guests, if desired. (Photo: on the Natl Press Club website, press.org)
Monday, 01/14/19 at 12:30pm - 2:00pm | iCal
The National Press Club, Holeman Lounge, 13th Floor
529 - 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20045 USA
[ Get Directions ]
Enter Waitlist Here...
Look Who's Coming:
Wharton Club of DC
CETA Benefit Consulting Group, LLC