Closing Night of DC Jewish Film Festival: The Tobacconist
Starring the recently passed Bruno Ganz (DOWNFALL, WINGS OF DESIRE) as Sigmund Freud, based on international bestseller by Robert Seethaler, set during Nazi occupation of Vienna. Wharton Club Members & Guests Welcome
Closing Night of the 2019 Festival
- THE TOBACCONIST [DER TRAFIKANT]
- Starring the recently passed Bruno Ganz (DOWNFALL, WINGS OF DESIRE) as Sigmund Freud and based on the international bestseller by Robert Seethaler, THE TOBACCONIST is a tender, heartbreaking story about one young man and his friendship with Sigmund Freud during the Nazi occupation of Vienna.
- Seventeen-year-old Franz journeys to Vienna to apprentice at a tobacco shop. There he meets Sigmund Freud (Ganz), a regular customer, and over time the two very different men form a singular friendship. When Franz falls desperately in love with the music-hall dancer Anezka, he seeks advice from the renowned psychoanalyst, who admits that the female sex is as big a mystery to him as it is to Franz. As political and social conditions in Austria dramatically worsen with the Nazis' arrival in Vienna, Franz, Freud and Anezka are swept into the maelstrom of events. Each has a big decision to make: to stay or to flee?
- DIR/SCR Nikolaus Leytner; SCR Klaus Richter, from the novel by Robert Seethaler. Germany, 2018, color, 108 min. In German with English subtitles. NOT RATED
- Parking: at nearby public garages near Colesville Road and Ellsworth Drive in Silver Spring.
- REGISTER: Wharton Club Members & Guests: 33/person (including booking fee) Click here to buy tickets!!!
7:15PM - 9:30PM Sun 26 May 2019 ( Timezone: Eastern )
AFI Silver Theatre & Cultural Center - Theater 1
8633 Colesville Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910 US
[ Get Directions ]
Look Who's Coming:
Wharton Club of DC
Wharton Club of DC
... a total of 4 guests.
Note: to opt out from this list please sign in, go to My Account and change your preferences under My RSVPs.