"Writing With Fire" Movie: Screening and Conversation with Directors Rintu Thomas and Sushmit Ghosh
We invite you to a special screening of the Oscar-nominated film Writing with Fire, which shares the story of Khabar Lahariya, the only news network in India run by women. 3/14
We invite you to a special screening of the Oscar-nominated film Writing with Fire, which shares the story of Khabar Lahariya, the only news network in India run by women. With wit and grace, this fierce band of Dalit (low caste) women serve as an anchor for truth and justice, and a pillar of democracy. Together, they defy the bounds of gender and caste, and redefine what it means to be powerful, in their homes and for the world.
“The most inspiring journalism movie — maybe ever. An essential portrait of the fight for press freedom…Writing with Fire reminds us that there are always people who, despite incredible odds, will choose to do this work.” — Jason Rezaian, Washington Post
Monday, March 14
- 6:30 PM Conversation with Directors Rintu Thomas and Sushmit Ghosh
- 7:30 PM Screening of Writing With Fire
View the trailer here.
“At a time when the profession faces increasing dangers in India, the film’s faith in the powers of grassroots journalism is nothing short of galvanizing.” — Devika Girish, New York Times
- Winner — Audience Award — 2021 Sundance Film Festival
- Winner — Special Jury Award: Impact for Change — 2021 Sundance Film Festival
- Winner — Courage Under Fire Award — International Documentary Association
“Invigorating and inspiring…A vital, stimulating dispatch from the frontlines of consequential citizen journalism, Writing with Fire makes powerfully clear how underserved communities everywhere need reporters like the women of KL: resourceful and unafraid.” — Robert Abele, Los Angeles Times
A reminder that all guests must be fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination to attend.
View the trailer online.
When: Monday, March 14, 2022 (at 6:30 pm)
(Or Register FREE, if you're a Member)(Confirming email will contain the URL for the Online session)
- REGISTER for THIS EVENT (Free for All Members!) - And if you register, you can view the film online with a link in your confirming email!